Most of my music journalism has been writing about jazz. Printed articles include interviews, features, concert reviews, recordings mainly in the following publications and/or on-line media:
- Downbeat Magazine (Chicago, IL) features, CD reviews, interviews, festivals, concerts, books, Blindfold Tests
- New York City Jazz Record (New York), CD and festival reviews
- Boston Musical Intelligencer (Boston, MA) classical concert reviews
- Jazz Times (Silver Springs, MD) features; concert & festival reviews; album, video, book reviews
- Boston Herald (Boston, MA) club and concert reviews, features, profiles
- Patriot Ledger (Quincy, MA) jazz & classical, features, film reviews
- Boston Globe (Boston, MA) as guest critic, covered Globe’s Jazz Festivals; also ‘at home’ interviews
- Boston Phoenix (Boston, MA) jazz features, CD & live reviews, theater reviews
- Bossa Magazine (Boston, MA) CD and concert reviews of Brazilian jazz/pop music
- Radcliffe Magazine (Cambridge, MA); Musica Pro (Denver, CO); Jazz Journal International (London); Melody Maker (London); Billboard International; CD Review; Christian Science Monitor; Contemporary Keyboard; Crawdaddy; Sonic.net; Swing Journal (Tokyo, Japan); Stuff Magazine; The TAB Newspaper Group (Newton, MA); Travel & Leisure.
- Published Interviews: Kenny Barron, Jane Ira Bloom, Kenny Burrell, Gary Burton, Chick Corea, Meredith d’Ambrosio, Alan Dawson, Amy Duncan, Cesaria Evora, Roberto Fonseca, David Friesen, Jimmy Giuffre, Darrell Grant, Billy Hart, Fred Hersch, Illinois Jacquet, Stanley Jordan, Teddi King, Dick Johnson, Ivan Lins, Yo Yo Ma, Marian McPartland, Mabel Mercer, Courtney Pine, Joshua Redman, Max Roach, Horace Silver, Edward Simon, Carol Sloane, Lennie Sogoloff, Esperanza Spalding, Richard Stoltzman, Chucho Valdes, Joe Venuti, Randy Weston, Phil Wilson, Phil Woods, Denny Zeitlin, and many others.
- Jazz Festival Reports: see Travel Writing.
MIT Radio Interviews: over 200, see guestlist.
Books: “Boston Jazz and Blues” section in The Da Capo Jazz and Blues Lover’s Guide to the U.S., by Christiane Bird (Da Capo Press, editions 1995 and 2001)
Music Education: I designed and taught course in Music Journalism at Berklee College of Music, and literature classes geared to young musicians (eg, Traveling Music) (2001-15). I conducted and edited nearly 100 video interviews with Boston and/or Berklee jazz legends for Berklee Getz Library’s Oral History Project (2005-2016), and hosted Berklee panels for the public (Boston Bebop, Boston Jazz History) and faculty (Freelance Writing) and a jazz writers’ workshop (with authors Laurie Pepper and Michael Connelly).
- Album Liner Notes: over 150 (eg, Ernestine Anderson, Howard Alden, Gerry Beaudoin, Jaki Byard, Ron Carter, Jay Clayton, Art Farmer, Richard Galliano, Jay Geils, George Gruntz, Roy Haynes, Louis Jordan, Meade Lux Lewis, Charles McPherson, Marc Rossi, Bill Pierce, Bruno Raberg, Fritz Renold, Hironobu Saito, George Van Eps, Cedar Walton, Bob Winter. (See list; see samples.)
- Musicians’ Biographies: dozens for various artists and labels; also press releases.
- Producing Reissues [Compiling and Sequencing Recordings]:
- Lions Abroad, Black Lion Connoisseur Series (3 x 2-CD sets) Tenor Titans; Lion On The Keys; Le Lion à Paris
- Original Jazz Legends, 1201 Music (3×5-CD sets)
Torrid Trumpeters; Play Duke Ellington; Play George Gershwin, Harold Arlen, Fats Waller, and Hoagy Carmichael.